It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 10:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Kuwait Jumbo moved
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:19 pm 

I have noted that the beautiful old lady in the form of the ex Kuwait Jumbo has been towed from, I imagined, its imminent place of destruction.
I am guessing the land it stood on is being cleared for a change of use.
What will become of this grand old lady & also the wonderful ex Alitalia DC-8?
It would a great swansong for either to be part of whatever becomes of Manston.
I recently had the good fortune to visit the Evergreen Air & Space museum in McMinville, Oregon. There they have mounted an old Evergreen 747 freighter on top of a building built as a water park using it as a feature running water flumes from the sides - just such an imaginative & inspirational use for amazing old Jumbo.
If anyone has the chance to visit this part of the USA this museum houses Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose plus many other beauties.
Very much missing an active Manston. :(

Post subject: Re: Kuwait Jumbo moved
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:54 pm 
Random avatar

At least Evergreen dismantle the aircraft sympatheticaly and sell on the spares for continued use in live aircraft. The place is amazing. Talking of the Kuwait 747, it was actually cleaned and fuelled for the hadj about 6 or 7 years ago, and then just sat there. Real shame, Trouble is, the old classic's have reached the end of their working life. too juicy and expensive to keep flying. Nice to see evergreen have made a different use for this one. Great post Tangram